Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Total Conversion Mod's

As per the presentation in class on Tuesday made me reflect on a a mod I used to play back in my middle school days. THe modding community is a very niche group as well, work very long and hard on there games, especially for no pay. Just the satisfaction that they will get from them, and others, playing their game.

Heres a trailer for Battlefield 1942, an original game by Electronic Arts(EA).


Now here is a Total Modification of the game, with a new theme, the Iraq War. This drew a very large audience.


Desert Combat ended up winning FilePlanet's Best New Mod of 2004 for Desert Combat Final, FilePlanet's Best Mod of 2004, GameSpy's 2003 PC Modification of the Year, FilePlanet's Best New Mod for 2002.
THere were also 17 other mods of this game ranging from Star Wars, to Vietnam. The Vietnam game was also very succesful and EA developped Battlefield: Vietnam. As you can see this was almost a decade ago and the modding community is still very much apart of the PC online gaming commmunity as well as beginning to become of the console systems as well.

5 comments:

  1. I never really knew much about mods before the presentation this week. I think they are pretty cool and its crazy how someone is able to change around a game to look like a totally different game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fasinates me, I think its amazing that normal people can redo entire video games into their one versions using their creative mindsets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Liz and Reid, I also had never heard about Mod's and thought it was very fascinating. After learning about it in the presentation I thought it was really cool how people can remake or redesign an entire game with all different elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how graphics have improved in 8 years. As a former gamer that just never got into the latest generation, I often feel that the leap between the XBOX to the the 360 (and other platforms) just was not that revolutionary. Watching trailers like that show me how wrong I am.

    ReplyDelete